Book Review-- Ilyon Chronicles

 Hello, everyone! 

Today, I will be reviewing Ilyon Chronicles, book one, and the prequel novella. 

A fantasy world with dragons and new people... what is not to love?! Gladiators, despicable villains, a sassy prince, Ilyon Chronicles definitely has a forever place on my bookshelf!

I procrastinated on getting this series for a few years because I, personally, do not like magic. And most fantasy books do have magic in them, so I was very hesitant, read every review out there, but none of them--or any that I could find--said if there was magic in the series or not. Finally, I met a young woman who was a fan of this series and she promised me that there was absolutely no magic. So, if you're an oddball like me who doesn't like magic, be assured that this series has no magic whatsoever, while still keeping true to the High Fantasy Genre. 

(And yes, it's possible for fantasy to not have magic. I was surprised and delighted to learn that😂😂)

First off is book one!


Overall review: I was a little intimidated over the fact that the story was almost five hundred pages long. As a full-time farmer, I don't always have a lot of reading time. And, with thick books, I find myself skipping pages or even chapters, as there tends to be a lot of filler. Resistance had absolutely no annoying, empty filler whatsoever. Even if it was a 'filler' scene, it was developing characters, or setting up the scene for the next Big Thing. I really enjoyed that!

Language: none

Sexual instances: characters talk about how, in Ryrik attacks, women and children never survive. And there is a small-scale Ryrik attack in which the Ryriks clearly want the girl. 

Characters: I know the Ilyon fangirls absolutely love the main characters, Jace and Kyrin. So maybe I am the odd one out, but I wasn't a huge fan of them? Jace is definitely relatable for me, but I fell hard and fast for Trask and Anne and they are my number one characters in the series😂

Violence/gore: there's a lot of action and violence, but absolutely no gore unless one is extremely sensitive.

Romance: Trask and Anne have the. best. romance. ever. I love them! I love the continuous banter and just....*fangirling scream* 

Cliff-hanger ending: kind of a slight cliff-hanger? Not one that leaves you in a desperate panic for the next book, but it definitely ends with a dramatic bang and you need the next book😂



The prequel!



Overall review: do not read this without tissues. This tells Jace's backstory and the big sister in me, the mom friend, the maternal instincts, the empathy...I wanted nothing more than to kidnap Little Jace and raise him in a loving home. The! Poor! Child!

Language: none

Sexual instances: none

Characters: stars Jace, a few animals, and villains. I. Hated. The villains. They should not treat Baby Jace like that! (Can you tell I'm still mad about this??)

Violence/gore: lots of violence, as Jace is a gladiator. And before that, a slave. But again, no gore.

Romance: none

Cliff-hanger ending: none. Half-Blood ends in Resistance. 



And there you have it! I'll be reviewing the rest of the series as I finish them!

If you want to check out the author, here is her website! 

https://www.jayelknight.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview-- Madisyn Carlin

Author Interview--Sophia Davidson

Book Spotlight -- Deceived