Character Interview -- Roscoe Larete

 Alright, guys, the last of the character interviews! I hope you all have enjoyed them. I've had an absolute blast writing these!

(In case you missed it, here are the previous Character Interviews)

Torrin

Briley

Cyprian

Raevyn


And here we go!


    The Aliki cabin was a familiar sight as I walked up the path towards it. 

    Roscoe was already there, sitting on the porch step and letting his little dragon, Catnip, make a mess out of his hair.

    I grinned and waved. "Hi! Have you been warned about the interviews?"

    "Yeah." He eyed me suspiciously. "Please tell me you don't have any gut-wrenching questions for me."

    "Well, it's all about your past. So..." I shrugged. "The stories don't really offer much of a chance at your backstory. And no matter how much I try to change that, I just can't seem to get a stab at figuring out your past."

    He made a face, and Catnip hissed at me.

    I leaned against one of the porch's support beam and pulled out my phone to start recording. "The first question is, what was growing up for you like?"

    Roscoe winced. 

    Catnip purred and rubbed her tiny snout against his cheek. Her tail snaked down to curl around his wrist. 

    "Um, it was rough. I was a half-breed growing up in Achia, and everyone believed me to be--"

    I held up a hand. "Whoa, hang on, no spoilers, remember? Nothing that could possibly be a spoiler."

    "Oh." He cleared his throat. "Well, I wasn't popular back home. And it didn't really change once I joined the army."

    "Yeah, I noticed. In the early drafts, Cyprian really had it out for you."

    Roscoe shot me a look. "Yeah, he did."

    I grinned, not the least bit ashamed. Roscoe's and Cyprian's relationship had done a lot of changing from plotting to publishing. "Next question is, how did you and Peter meet?"

    "It was a training session in the middle of winter. I didn't realize we were crossing a frozen pond until I broke through the ice." He shivered. "I thought I was dead until he hauled me out of there."

    Hm. Past trauma, potential triggers... I jotted it down, just in case it became relevant to the story later on down the line. One never knew when they could torture--er, make their characters grow more through trials and tribulations. 

    Catnip snorted at me, as if she knew what I was thinking. 

    "How did you get Catnip?" I sat down on the porch step to give my feet a rest. 

    "Her egg was amongst the ones brought to the Shadows. Every Shadow is given a dragon egg to hatch and bond with, it helps the missions be more successful. Her egg was there and was so small, they were going to throw it away. I offered to take it and by sheer luck--or God's doing--they let me." He scratched behind her horns and grinned when she started purring. "She's kept me going."

    "You know, I based y'all's relationship on my sister and her goat." I adjusted my glasses. "Short little diva princess of a pet that's spoiled way too much."

    Catnip slapped my arm with her tail. 

    Roscoe grinned and hugged her. "She's not a diva, but she's definitely a princess."

    She chirped and nestled her head into his neck. 

    He looked at me and mouthed, 'she's definitely a diva.'

    I refrained from laughing and looked over my questions for him. Interviewing Roscoe was hard because there was so much spoiler potential. "Last question, and then I'll leave you guys in peace. What hopes do you have for the future?"

    Roscoe was quiet for a long time, staring out over the settlement sprawling out before us as he thought it over. "I think...eventually, I hope to settle down, maybe have a family, and just live a normal life. Maybe work as a bookkeeper or something. I'm done with soldier life."

    "You say settle down, is there anyone in particular?" I know I'd promised the other would be the last question, but I was curious! 

    His cheeks turned pink and he shot me a mild glare. "No."

    "But you have a puppy crush on someone." I grinned. 

    He heaved a sigh. "A little tiny one, that's all. And I thought you were done with questions!"

    I raised my hands. "Alright, alright! I'll take my leave and see you in the next writing session."

    "I can't wait," he drawled. 

.

.

And there you have it, folks! The last of the character interviews!

If you want to learn more about Roscoe, you can pre-order Broken Crown here. And if you haven't read it yet, Fallen King is on sale now!

If you have a Chronicles of Elyndia character you'd like interviewed, or have any questions for characters for interviews in the future, drop a comment or DM me on Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview-- Madisyn Carlin

Author Interview--Sophia Davidson

Book Giveaway